Skip to content
Technology R&D Management Rolepgermeraad2020-12-19T11:40:05-08:00
Best Innovation Practices from a Technology R&D Perspective
Technology R&D is closely integrated with New Business Development, Intellectual Property, and Human Resources functions.
Background specific to those working in Technology R&D Management is offered below:
1. Make Sure Your Company Will Fund Your New Product Development Proposals:
- Make sure your company really needs to have new products and services. If so do they need to be Incremental, Next-Generation, or Breakthrough products?
- Your Proposals have to align with your Company’s Business Direction.
- Your Proposals have to align with your Company’s Strategic Plans.
2. When You Start Your Technology Research or Development Project, Run It Well:
- Create ideas using the Creative Problem Solving Method that matches the incremental, next-generation, or breakthrough product need that you have.
- Run your project consistent with how your company behaves.
- Once again, be sure to double check how you project management techniques fit not only with how your company likes to manage Technology, but also how it like to have Integrated Business, Technical, IP and HR Processes. Projects that mesh well into many Company “ways-of-doing-things” are more likely retain management support, even in difficult times.
3. As Your Project Progresses, Keep Your Eyes Wide Open:
- Remember that “the-devil-is-in-the-details” when it comes to the actual day-to-day project work. A good project leader knows how to pivot and use the right mix of project management tools.
- Make sure you know what your suppliers, customers, and competition are doing.
4. When Your Project Needs More Resources:
- Consider external sources of support
5. As Your Project Proceeds, Understand How Your Senior Management Will Evaluate You And Your Project:
- Know how they and your Company’s shareholders measure success