Skip to content
Analyzing a Current State And Planned Future State Associated with a Speed-to-Market Initiative
- Step 2b of Improving Your Speed-to-Market Is:
- Analyzing Your Current State And Planned Future State
- Measure Speed-to-Market
- Without a clear understanding of your start point it is impossible to plan for, or effect, a change
- Ensure clear definitions for the critical time points of a project.
- Document the Current State
- How does the stated process for new product development match the realities of current product development projects?
- What areas and interfaces between areas are hindering your organizations Speed-to-Market?
- Use fishbone diagrams or Pareto analysis to identify the most significant cause of current delay.
- Conduct Stakeholder interviews
- The experience and knowledge of various stakeholder groups is an important input in the Analyze phase.
- Leadership team – It is important to understand the experience and expectations of this critical stakeholder group.
- Product development teams –These interviews may unearth unexpressed issues that project teams fight with on a routine basis.
- Manufacturing – The manufacturing function may be able to identify critical rate determining activities or resource constraints.
- Suppliers – Development activities will rely on suppliers for materials, services or staffing.
- Customers – It is important to develop robust mechanisms for customer feedback and validation of increasing Speed-to-Market value.
- Planned future state
- Incorporate your organization planned key enablers of Speed-to-Market?
- Incorporate improving or at least maintaining product excellence from research and other functional groups.
- Incorporate your R&D game; the various methods of accelerating innovation and product development and different methods and tools that can be used for managing the product development process
- Incorporate the possibility of disadvantages from shortening development time and other unintended consequences of Speed-to-Market and other objectives
- Following these considerations, the team should a develop plan for implementing improvements in Speed-to-Market.